Front Porch Pickings is a perfect place to rest your feet, enjoy the view, and chat with neighbors. But if you’re like most people, you don’t spend much time in your front porch. In fact, you probably leave it mostly unused. If that’s you, there are plenty of ways to get the most out of your front porch.
Here are four ideas to get you started:
1) Bring in a garden. A garden on your front porch is a great way to add some color and life to the space. You can also use it as a source of fresh vegetables and fruits for your kitchen.
2) Host a potluck party. A potluck party on your front porch is a great way to get neighbours together and socialize. Plus, it’s a great opportunity to show off your culinary skills.
3) Get creative with your seating arrangements. If you have a small porch or no seating at all, consider using plants or flowers as makeshift seats. Alternatively, set up a hammock or chairs next to the railing for visitors to relax in while they take in the view.
4) Install solar panels. If you have enough sunlight exposure, installing solar panels on your front porch can help you save money on your energy bills. You can also use the energy generated from the panels to power other devices in your home, such as garden lights.
Decorate Your Porch
When it comes to decorating your front porch, you have a lot of options. There are several ways to add character and flair to your space, from investing in a few decorative pieces to spicing up your outdoor seating area with some comfortable furniture.
Here are some ideas for how to get the most out of your front porch pickings:
Start by choosing the right pieces. If you’re on a budget, try finding affordable pieces that will still look chic. For example, consider using a set of antique chairs or an old table for a focal point. Alternatively, if you have more money available, consider splurging on one high-quality piece that will be the focus of attention.
Think seasonal. Spring and summer features beautiful flowers and plants, while fall offers fantastic opportunities for pumpkins and other autumnal decorations.
Consider using color. Not only will this add personality to your porch, but it can also help offset harsh sunlight or cold weather. For example, use bright blue or red accents during the summer months instead of traditional green ones.
Invest in furniture that can be used year-round. A comfortable chair or two is perfect for enjoying a good book in the sunshine during summertime, while an Adirondack chair is great for chilly autumn evenings.
Add some drapes or blinds to create privacy when needed and enhance natural light when desired. This will help keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Finally, think about adding some welcome accessories. A few plants will add life to your space, while a couple of cozy pillows can make it the perfect spot to relax after a long day.
Plant a Garden
Adding a bit of nature to your front porch can be a fun and easy way to get the most out of your gardening experience.
Here are a few tips for planting a garden on your porch:
1. Choose the Right Location
First, you’ll need to decide where you would like to place your garden. Some Porch Gardens are designed as small patches near the front door, while others may be larger and spread out in all directions. It’s important to think about how much space you have and what type of garden you would like to create.
2. Pick The Right Plants
Once you’ve decided on the location and type of garden, it’s time to select the plants! There are many varieties of plants that work well on porches, so it’s important to find something that fits your particular needs and style. Some popular options include succulents, Annual Flowers, Hardy Garden Flowers, Zinnias, Bougainvillea, Lavender, Herbs & Seasonal Vegetables.
3. Water The Plants Properly
One thing to keep in mind when planting a porch garden is that water is essential! Make sure to water the plants regularly (at least once per week) and watch for signs that they’re thirsty – such as wilting leaves or dry soil. If necessary, use a watering can with a timer so you don’t overdo it.
Hang Out There All Summer
If you’re looking to enjoy your summer porch pickings all season long, there are plenty of ways to do just that! Here are a few ideas:
1. Hang Out There All Summer Long
One great way to get the most out of your porch pickings is to simply hang out there all summer long! This can be done by setting up a comfortable seat or couch, and taking in the fresh seasonal air. If you’re lucky enough to have a porch with a nice view, take advantage of it and sit down for some relaxing reading or watching of sunset.
2. Garden On Your Porch
If you don’t have much room for outdoor seating, consider planting a garden on your porch instead! This can be done in a number of different ways, and there are lots of different plants that will thrive in warm weather conditions. Not only will this give you an abundant amount of fresh vegetables and flowers to enjoy, but it also adds an extra bit of charm to your home.
3. Play Games Outside
Another great way to spend your summer days is by playing games outside! This can be done in any weather conditions, so if it starts raining or getting too hot out, no problem – just take cover inside and keep playing! Some fun neighborhood games that are easy to set up include frisbee golf or jumping rope.
4. Take A Trip To Something New Nearby
Finally, if you’re looking for something new to do during your summer porch pickings, consider taking a trip to something new nearby! This can be done by heading out to a local park, visiting a museum, or going for a hike. If you’re feeling adventurous, why not also take in a local show or festival? There’s sure to be something fun and exciting waiting for you.
Host a Pool Party
If you’re looking for a fun and easy way to get your neighbors introduced to your new pool, hosting a pool party is the perfect solution.
Here are five tips for how to make sure that your pool party is a success:
1. Choose the right date. Pool parties are most enjoyable during spring and summer, so choose a date that won’t conflict with other activities you have planned.
2. Plan ahead. Make sure you have all of the necessary supplies, including cups, napkins, plates, and utensils. Also be sure to clean up after yourselves!
3. Invite your neighbors. Once you’ve decided on the date and planed everything else out, it’s time to start calling people! Be sure to include their names and phone numbers in your invitations so they don’t feel left out if they can’t attend.
4. Have fun! Pool parties are all about having a good time, so make sure everyone is enjoying themselves by playing games like water balloon toss or tag. And be sure to invite some friends over for an afternoon of swimming.
5. Tip off your guests! One of the best ways to ensure that everyone at your pool party has a great time is by giving them advance notice about when it will be happening. This way they can plan their schedules around it.
Use Your Porch to Get Fresh Air
If you have a porch, use it! The fresh air will help you to feel better and should also keep your home healthier. You can relax on your porch, read a book or just take in the view.
Here are some tips for getting the most out of your porch:
1. Install A Screen enclosure. This is a great way to keep bugs out while still letting in air and light. You can find them at most home improvement stores.
2. Add Some Plants. Not only will plants add beauty to your porch, but they will also help to naturally filter the air and improve the quality of your breathing environment.
3. Add A Table And Chair. This allows you to have a place to sit down and enjoy the view, as well as a spot to store things when not in use.
4. Hang A Shade Or Awning If You Want To Protect Your furniture From The Sun OR Keep Cool In The Summertime.